Mark Hammervold represents individuals, families and companies in a variety of complex, high stakes cases. Early in his career, Mark distinguished himself by successfully defending large corporations, insurance companies, and professionals in a wide spectrum of lawsuits, including health care liability, personal injury, defamation, breach of contract, tortious interference with business relationships, wrongful termination, racketeering, consumer protection, antitrust, and civil rights claims. Mark established a reputation for meticulous preparation, outworking his adversaries, and quickly obtaining judgments in his clients’ favor. In 2015, Mark began practicing on his own so that he could choose his clients and help individuals and families devastated by catastrophic injury, the wrongful death of a loved one, or corporate malfeasance.
Mark primarily represents plaintiffs in employment, personal injury, consumer fraud, professional negligence, commercial litigation and malicious prosecution cases. He has recovered tens of millions of dollars in settlements and judgments for clients. However, Mark also defends small businesses against all kinds of lawsuits. He understands the stress of being sued and the importance of obtaining a quick and favorable resolution. As a fellow plaintiffs’ lawyer, Mark understands their pressure points, and is particularly adept at convincing opposing counsel to simply drop the case when it is a loser. As a fellow small business owner, Mark can also offer very competitive rates and creative fee structures.
Mark has a special interest in the jewelry trade and has acquired significant recognition for representing individuals and entities at all nearly levels of the jewelry industry, including consumers, retailers, distributors, and wholesalers. Mark has prosecuted and settled a large number of consumer claims against jewelers that gripped the industry. Mark is known in the jewelry industry as a fierce advocate and a bulldog. As a result of this reputation, industry clients have retained Mark to represent them in disputes with vendors, employees, competitors, grading labs, debtors, etc. Mark also provides general counsel to industry clients, with a focus on implementing best practices and legal compliance.
Mark also represents clients in appeals in federal and state courts. He is particularly proud of his 4-0 record in appeals he has briefed and argued before the Tennessee Court of Appeals. He has also represented clients in appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second, Third, Fifth, and Sixth Circuits.
Mark works relentlessly to obtain justice for his clients. He is motivated by the pursuit of personal excellence in his craft, holding wrongdoers accountable, and a deep sense of compassion for his clients.
Since 2018, Mark has been annually recognized as a Super Lawyer’s “Rising Star,” for exhibiting excellence in legal practice. This distinction is awarded to fewer than 2.5% of attorneys following a peer-selection process.
Mark attended Vanderbilt University Law School on academic scholarship. During law school, he won Vanderbilt Law’s intramural mock trial tournament in back-to-back years. He also represented Vanderbilt at the Phillip C. Jessup Moot Court Competition, winning first place in the region, and third place nationally. Mark completed his undergraduate education at Northwestern University. He attended on a merit scholarship for policy debate and graduated with honors.
Representative Case Outcomes
- Played a key role in representing a Class of approximately 2,700 former employees in a two-week trial in class action case involving a pattern or practice of discrimination, resulting in the jury voting 6-2 in favor of the Class.
- Prevailed in an appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit that reversed erroneous dismissal of a class action lawsuit. You can read a copy of the appellate decision here.
- Prevailed in an appeal before the Tennessee Court of Appeals that vacated a ~$300,000 default judgment that had been entered against a client, after that client’s previous lawyers abandoned him (without timely alerting the client or the court). You can read a copy of the appellate decision here. You can listen to a recording of my oral argument before the Tennessee Court of Appeals here.
- Obtained an eight-figure settlement for a client in a medical malpractice lawsuit.
- Obtained a $1,080,301.07 verdict for a client in a medical malpractice case following a two-week jury trial.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement for a client in a wrongful death lawsuit.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement for a client in a medical malpractice lawsuit.
- Obtained a $950,000 settlement for a motorcyclist-client who was injured in a collision with a tractor-trailer.
- Obtained a judgment and a six-figure settlement for a family that was rear-ended by a defunct trucking company and suffered soft-tissue injuries.
- Obtained a six-figure settlement for a client for a claim of gender discrimination.
- Obtained a six-figure settlement for a client for a claim of retaliation.
- Obtained a six-figure settlement for a client in a commercial dispute.
- Obtained a six-figure settlement for a client in a premises liability lawsuit.
- Obtained a six-figure settlement for a client in a medical malpractice lawsuit.
- Obtained a six-figure settlement for a client in a dental malpractice lawsuit.
- Litigation Defense and General Counsel Services for Small Businesses
- Defamation, Malicious Prosecution, and First Amendment